High ceilings, glass and steel
Settle over those of us who wait.
We have time to ponder.
July 20 (Liverpool Street Train Station, London)
Awoke at Helen's refreshed and happy to have had 7 solid hours of sleep. We three did our usual gather everything together and fit it into our suitcase successfully routine. Wish we could film it, I'm sure it would be a fun dance to follow.
Helen was a wonderful interviewee. I was amazed at how relaxed she was in front of the camera. A natural, I tell ya. She sat in her sunny back yard in her robe, as comfortable as if she was talking to a friend she's known her whole life. To see a friend interviewed was a new experience for me; I loved hearing her stories and insights. Watch out friends... you KNOW you're next. ;-) Thanks Helen, you are an incredible person and I am so grateful for everything. xo
The next couple of hours were all about getting to Liverpool Station and a train to Norwich. (as I was corrected by Helen, "It's Norich, not NorWich" haha). We walked our suitcases to the South Wimbledon tube stop and then proceeded to battle the people and the many steps to the station. Hi, no escalators or lifts anywhere! Finally, we carved out a space to drop and rest and Suzanne got the tickets to Norwich.
The train ride was much different visually from Ireland. The fields were golden, we passed many villages, and a few bodies of water with boats on them. It was beautiful. I can't sleep during the train rides. I like to follow the landscape. It's exciting to see the different old buildings, ruins, cars, ways of plowing, etc. I love it. We got to Norwich in two hours, exactly on time. I love how their train systems seem to always run on time. Amtrak could learn a thing or two from these people!
Suzanne's friend Wayne was nice enough to pick us up and on the way, we got stopped by police! It was not a huge deal, but quite exciting to have that experience in another country. :)
Suzanne's friend's home is exactly what I think of when asked to picture an English home in the countryside. It's beautiful and old and brick, it has land with flowers and 500 year old oak trees. Ethel and Ian purchase old structures, fix them up and resell them. This home is their latest project and it is wonderful.
We got a warm welcome from everyone and had rooibos tea with milk and sugar and I took a little nap, something I'm really treasuring on this trip. Even 30 minutes does a world of good. I got a visit from the cutest kitten. I'll try to upload the video I took. Don't know if you'll be able to hear the constant purring but you'll be able to see the adorableness that is Mittens.
The weather was not the best (cold, drizzly) but I took a little walk around the grounds and breathed in the fresh air. Sigh. A welcome relief from the hectic city. I think we all needed this stay in the country. There's something about it that just makes everything better.
3 comments:
i, too, like to gaze out the window and watch the changing landscape when i'm on a train.
London to Manningtree to Norwich, yes, a handy way to save instead of the through fare from London! :-)
You're right, Ali! That's exactly what happened. We saved a lot!
Post a Comment