Monday, July 21, 2008

Day in London






Helen's streetI awoke at 6 a.m. and tried my best to get back to sleep, to no avail. But that was ok, because we had lots to do today!

Suz, Janice & I interviewed a woman named Paula in the Belsize Park area of London. How do I describe this woman? grounded, creative, questioning, free-spirited, mournful, passionate, beautiful, intelligent, raw, you name it. She is a photographer, singer and writer who has been through a lot in her 39 years and has used creativity to get through the experiences. Here's a link to her site so you can see what I'm talking about. We all walked away from the interview touched and inspired.

She suggested a wonderful little cafe called Violette Cafe where we had brunch. I had a tasty plate of poached eggs, smoked salmon and brown (wheat) bread. So good. The cafe had mirrors around it and lots of light letting in the sun. Yes, it was sunny and gorgeous out. woo hoo! As we were sitting there eating, I looked up and in walks this tall man with an air of... something... I couldn't figure it out. Until I looked closer and whispered to Suzanne, ooh, an actor just walked in here. I'm looking past her at the mirror because he was behind me but it was hilarious. Because there were so many mirrors in there, it was hard not to look like we were stalking. haha. It was Jason Segel from Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Freaks and Geeks, Knocked Up, etc.

After our star sighting we headed to the Victoria Palace Theatre to see Billy Elliott. All three of us were excited. It didn't disappoint. The young man playing Billy was an incredible dancer and singer. And a natural tap dancer. The dance numbers were extraordinary. There was one dream sequence scene where Billy danced with a grown up ballet dancer and it was so touching... the graceful, muscled grown up with the skinny 12-year old, doing the same delicate moves. Gorgeous. I'd like to see that scene again and again.

Afterwards it was back to Helen's where she and Louie made the most incredible dinner of bbq'd lamb with potatoes, portobello mushrooms and red onions with rosemary, and Belinda made a yummy flourless chocolate cake with yogurt and blueberries to top it off. It was a delicious meal. I enjoyed watching Helen and Louie, they get along so well. She has a big, open heart and it's great to see her so happy. :)

I didn't even want to THINK about the fact that we were leaving the next day for Norwich. But the thought of being in the country and eating fish and chips in the area KNOWN for it, well, bring it on!

Haiku by Suzanne:
Bury your existence in the turbulent waters.
Tear up your grievous soul until none remains.
Rise up hard screaming what you find.
July 19 (Paula Rae Gibson interview, London)

3 comments:

Misty L said...

It's so great to see you, Helen and Mimi together. I'm glad you were able to make that happen! I felt like I was there with you all in spirit...especially when I got SIX international dial a shot texts while I was in a meeting. hahaha

Kate said...

hahahaa.. I had no idea that was happening!!

j. ethan duran said...

you should rename your trip to "kate's star-gazing tour".