Tuesday, July 15, 2008

bye, Galway

Helen, Eddie and Suzanne at the 4 Seasons B & B in Galway.









Haiku by Suzanne:
Stone paving in rectangular formation
Carries the rabble.
The
full moon is almost here.
July 14 (Dublin streets)

On Monday, Suzanne and I got up and headed downstairs for our last Galway breakfast with Eddie and Helen. Eddie makes a mean omelet, fyi. Try it if you find yourself there. They are good people and I was sad to leave. Helen offered to drive us to the train station and as we were driving away, Eddie got our attention to show us he was hanging the Obama sticker we gave him in the front window.

I enjoyed the people watching on our way back to Dublin... The older gentleman with the Irish hat and huge, knotted hands, gracefully drinking his tea, the adorable older woman with her head literally in a book titled, "Instant Penny Whistle," humming the notes to Amazing Grace. The blonde, one-year-old boy who waved to me often and smiled, who had better balance walking through the aisle unaided, than Suz and I combined. I put my ipod on and listened to Modest Mouse's "Float On" and Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" while the green fields zoomed by. Definitely a big heart moment I will remember for a long, long time.

The biggest excitement of the day was welcoming Janice into our 2-woman show. It's great to have 16-year-old blood with us. Her sweet energy is infectious. Much more about her in the days to come. We went into the Temple Bar area for the first time to eat some dinner. It really reminds me of the Haight, but with cobblestones and narrower streets and old, old buildings with character. We ate at the Bad Ass Cafe, which was mentioned in my Let's Go Ireland book. It is a very laid back place with puns everywhere you looked.. We had the Red Rooster pizza with smoked chicken, roasted vegetables and goat cheese on a super thin crust. Yummy.

After dinner, Janice was really starting to feel the jet lag so while she slept Suz and I blogged, haiku'd and planned adventures for our new 3-woman show.

3 comments:

Misty L said...

awww - I love reading about this trip. It almost feels like I'm there with you! Keep enjoying every minute - can't wait to see all the photos! Miss you!!!

j. ethan duran said...

do i hear a soundtrack in the making?

Kate said...

Yay! I like writing it too. So many photos and my connection's not the best for uploading. E - I love the idea. Summer vacation soundtrack.