Wednesday, February 22, 2006

shifts, libraries and community

since I finished the cleanse I am recognizing different things that have shifted along with my attitude around food... I'm becoming more aware of things. I discovered a bike route to work so I can cut down on the driving/gas consumption. then I read this on SFGate.com and, well, I was intrigued.

along with eating organic and cutting out a lot of dairy, I could be more creative in how i acquire things. i have lived in Marin for awhile now. and have I checked out ONE book at the cute Mill Valley library? do I know where the cool thrift stores are? when in Lafayette last weekend, I went to a couple of estate sales and picked up some awesome kitchen utensils and silver muffin tins. I used to do this stuff all the time! but for some reason moving to a place where driving to malls is just what you do, I didn't consciously think about the trips to Target or Old Navy. well...I joined The Compact...and I will do all that I can to not purchase anything new this year. to become resourceful is a good thing.

of course, I will need support from my friends when I travel and when birthdays come around. these moments will be the hardest. and in case you are curious about what happened after that article came out, read this. it's a personal choice people. oy.

3 comments:

j. ethan duran said...

of course you joined the compact. you wouldn't be kate if you didn't and thats why i love you. just don't send me any recycled undies for my birthday. its funny how we often take the library for granted. i went a couple of times while in sf then completely pushed it aside like garabe. now go find those thirft stores. good luck to you.

hez said...

that's awesome you joined the compact! i am intrigued too, however training for a tri means i have to buy tons of crap all the time.

hez said...

wait..can you buy toothpaste?