


I am back after a fun, crazy, whirlwind trip to Fargo, ND. God, it was a great trip. I am a bit sad to see it pass, after looking forward to it for so many months...There were many reasons for my going there..
The impetus though, was my old college professor's 35-year retrospective photo exhibit at the Plains Art Museum. His name's Wayne Gudmundson and he photographs Minnesota and ND landscapes and other things with a 4 x 5 camera and black and white film. They are gorgeous, quiet, expansive, sometimes haunting images. He captures the feeling of the place I come from and it makes me feel good to look at the images.
As a teacher, Wayne was (and still is) incredible. Very grounded, patient, and in class didn't say much, but when he did talk it was invaluable. He'd laugh if he knew I wrote this, because he is also very humble and doesn't like to be called out much. But he's not going to read it so I'm gonna keep going.
I see him as a mentor. My dad gave me the bug to document everyday things and Wayne gave me the insight into how to do so. He also liked to impart wisdom to the class at Ralph's Corner Bar (RIP) after our Wed night classes at a round table topped with small glasses of Pabst Dark beer. yes. it exists. Many a Wed night I went home with the most inspiring ideas scrawled on napkins, only to find them indecipherable the next day.
There was also a Mass Communications reunion, which I didn't realize was going to happen. I got to see old teachers and classmates. It is cool to see that many of them are actually using their degrees as reporters and photographers. I think I'm going to be interviewed for the alumni paper for my work at greenmuseum.org. Crazy.
I also got to hang out with my friend John, who is features editor at the Fargo Forum. He is so much fun, and let me crash in his room the first night so I would be safely away from the friggin trains that pass by every couple of hours, blowing their horns like crazy... Seriously, I don't remember the trains being so annoying when I lived there. John rocks. He took me to a bar, the Hodo in the swanky Hotel Donaldson that had my favorite of all time vodka: the mandarin-infused Hangar One, made right here in Alameda. If you haven't yet, seek it out. It's amazing. He also knew I had some photo projects I wanted to run by Wayne, and made space for me to do so when we had dinner at Wayne's house.
Speaking of photo projects, did I mention it's been quite awhile since I've been inspired to do a photo project? A LONG time. So talking photography and darkroom stuff and all that was such a treat for me. I miss my photo community! I also miss the big, open spaces of the Midwest.
Then, on Sunday, my parents met me and we spent the next couple of days running errands (which is so much fun to do with them) and eating crab legs and I had them meet Wayne. Good times.
Now I'm back and trying to get back into the swing of things. After such a wonderful, soul-filling trip, it's taking me awhile to adjust back to my life here. Where's my photo community? Where are my parents if I have another craving for crab legs and trips to health food stores?
...
some more photos here.
3 comments:
Glad to hear you had such a great time! Amazing photos, as always! You are one neat-o lady Kate!
like the viking ship ... i didn't know fargo had such things
never fear butterbean, i'll eat crab legs with you. sounds like your trip was just what you needed to be inspired again.
Post a Comment