I'm sitting at home with a glass of wine. It feels like I haven't been home in a month. Wait... it has been almost a month. No wonder I'm so dog tired. Lots of changes happening.
I went through a coaching training a couple of weekends ago. Talk about intense. I faced parts of myself that I hadn't seen, ever. And for good reason. But it's a good thing. So I'm now a certified Spirit Coach. Woo hoo! The whole program is similar to other coaching-type programs but we work from the inside-out. It's not all about doing, it's about being. It's not what do you want to do with you life, it's who do you want to be while doing it. Anyway. It was a natural progression for me. With the classes I teach and the path I'm on, this makes complete sense and I'm excited about it. My eventual goal is to work from home and also do my photography. The coaching thing is via phone mainly, so I could work from ANYWHERE. Italy? ok! Africa, alright! It's coming and I'm thrilled. I love doing non-profit work. But it is time for change, my friends.
I have also been getting some photo gigs. I am seriously looking to get a D[igital]SLR, and so over the weekend, I bought a Canon to try it out, and to use it for said gigs. It was awesome. But to preface, I am old school. I learned to photograph with a Pentax K1000. Happily. I am uncomfortable with anything other than natural light. I developed and printed my black and white-only photos. I see in black and white when I have a camera to my eye. It is hard to change this.
But then I tried the DSLR. omg. the heavens parted. I now see why it is important to spend a couple of grand on one of these lovelies. I realized that I did have control over the images. I do have options with these digital things. So, that's my next expense...well, after putting together an office space in my home. I had to return the Canon because it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but man, it was close. My first love will always be b/w film cameras, et al. I own like 10 of them... But I'm slowly understanding this digital stuff.
This leads to my next thing. In July. For three weeks I will be in Ireland, England and Scotland, respectively. I am SO ready for an adventure I can't tell you. Well ok, I guess I just did. The big question now is... wtf cameras am I going to bring?? Holga, yes. but if I brought all the cameras/lenses I wanted to bring, I'll be carting 200 lbs around everywhere. Not really what I want to be doing. I'll let you know what I decide. Maybe I'll just bring 3. Nikon film, Holga and new DSLR, whatever it may be.. I have been wanting to get to Scotland for years.
Ok, the last thing and the real reason I'm drinking a fair share of wine tonight: Liga. She is a dog. This dog is one of, if not THE coolest, smartest, most amazingly grounded dogs on the planet. I just finished up a housesit with her and it was poignant because she has cancer and about five months to live. But of course, she didn't act like it.. she wanted to play fetch and run around everywhere like she was a puppy. And I felt like I had to pretend she wasn't dying and frolic with her. And you know what? I tricked myself into believing it wasn't true. For a few days. But I had to say goodbye to her today and I don't know if I'll ever see her again. That's just the way it is with petsitting. But I'm sad. Sadder than I realized. So, the wine.
So, here's to Liga. Who opened my heart and got me to laugh at myself on many occasions. And who I know I will meet again someday.
5 comments:
I've been using my Nikon d200 for a while now, and I'm loving it. Of course, there are about a billion options that i have yet to use, but I'm sure I'll get to them someday. It's all part of the learning process.
life is all about change. sometimes we embrace it, other times we run from it. i see you as completely embracing it. that's what u do. i say take one camera plus the holga. you don't want to be to bogged down with crap. the story about the dog was so sweet. i'm sure your paths will cross again. oxox
Aw...I was just thinking of LeeLee last night. He was LeeLee till the end, cancer be damned.
Miss you. Enjoy your adventures.
xoxo
This made me cry. For two reasons: 1) what an amazing dog! 2) my Pentax K2 died over the weekend. I have not made the transition into the digital age but need to, kicking and screaming. Oye.
Aww. Sorry about your K2. Let me know if you need help with the transition.. xo
Post a Comment