Sorry people, it's been SO LONG.I figure I'd better write something or my folks will wonder what's happened to me.. :)
Las Vegas. It was my first time. I shall try to sum it up but it will be very hard...
I found myself saying 'unbelievable' and 'fascinating' and 'oh my god' often. And then laughed because I remembered I was in Vegas and yes, it is odd and unbelievable and "OTT" ("Over The Top", Dad). It was fascinating to me how much thought the casinos have put into how to lure and then keep the patrons there for hours, days, weeks... No windows, pathetic lighting (I kept thinking of the Amelie scene where she stole into the mean shop owner's apartment and changed the light bulb to a dimmer one that buzzed) so that you don't know what time it is... Man.
And then there are the foot-long Eiffel Tower drinks in various neon shades and the Bellagio buffet with unlimited champagne, and x-rated cake toppers and trendy clubs that play that they are Zen but are all about exploitation and old money men looking for perfect young women who giggle and participate. But I digress.
The Breeders were amazing! I love how happy they seem to be when onstage, and how they acknowledge the audience and bring us in on their jokes. And man did they ROCK. So. Much. Fun. They had a red-headed (ignoring the fact that she had dreads..) guitarist found on Craigslist, who really knew how to play that thing.
Lisa and Misty rented a cabana at our hotel, which, after a late night, was a life saver! And the Foundation Room at the top of the hotel was so strange and cool and had artifacts from all over the world... I loved it and Loren, who took such good care of us up there.
All in all, I enjoyed Vegas. I got to visit Venice, Paris, New York, Liberace's museum and Siegfried & Roy's Secret Garden. I got my fill of kitschy signage and ate at the super yummy Bouchon. Sigh.
The best part was that I got to spend time with 3 women who are inspiring, empowered and so absolutely wonderful.
4 comments:
I LOVE Vegas. I always tell people any hippy sensibilities I might have go out the door where Vegas and cruises are concerned.
Hope you enjoyed it. We're going to try again in December.
I totally need to go to vegas again. I've been there once, when my sister got married, but it was only for a weekend and well, it was for my sister's wedding. we had fun, but there could have been more fun to be had!
someday we should hit vegas together! they'll never know what hit them! haha
Watching you take it all in was priceless. The cabana saved my life - it's true.
kudos, to having such a great time. you will never be the same...
Post a Comment