Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Aaaaaargh! Is it Cloverfield?


Joe and I went to Cloverfield last Friday night and I have to say I enjoyed it. I'm not going to say much except that it was a neat take on a genre movie. Oh, and sit farther back. The camera moves A LOT and it can induce the queasies.

Saturday, I went to Ikea to look for bamboo since I forgot to water mine and it dried up. They were all out, but for the first time I checked out the food section of the store. They've got some pretty cool stuff there. And to my great surprise and joy, I saw Lutefisk and Lefse! Yay! My grandma used to make lutefisk every Christmas and every year I would eat one and vow it would be my last. Lutefisk is quite smelly when cooking it and it resembles jelly fish when it's finished. Ya take some lefse, put butter on it, add potatoes, more butter, some salt and the lutefisk. Then roll it up and bite it quickly before it falls apart. Ahh...memories. As much as I make fun of it, I miss it and I miss my grandma. But she came flooding back as soon as I ate a piece of lefse. (no way was I gonna get the lutefisk. My neighbors would've killed me!)

Sunday, after a nice Thai meal on Geary with Misty and Ethan, I finally got to see Ethan's apartment. I love it! It's cute and stylish and has a fabulous view. Can't wait to spend more time there, watching Buffy marathons and eating weird Korean candies.

Things have been up and down with me of late. I'm looking at my future and what makes me happy. Photography. Teaching the stuff I teach. Helping others. These things make me happy. So how do I do these things and make enough money to live without having to constantly think of bills?

I've been working on a lot of internal stuff around havingness... worthiness... abundance. What I've discovered is that the path to clarity can sometimes be rough. And I have to face things about myself that can be really hard to look at. But ya have to see the muck in order to figure out how to remove it. So, that's me right now. Standing in the muck. I can see beyond it, but I'm not out of it yet. And it stinks. God I can't wait to get to the other side. I'm not saying that it's all doom and gloom. It's not. But there sure are moments of uncomfortableness.

Haha, just as I typed that, I felt a poke from a quilt my mom and my mom's mom created. I've been using that quilt lots since Mom touched it up for me a few years ago. Seems there is a pin hiding in there. Thanks Mom! It's good to be reminded of the care and love of others. Sigh. Does stuff like this happen to you guys? It seems to happen to me often. Little reminders of the good things.

So, with this new computer comes a renewed vigor in getting my photography stuff going. Last Sunday night, I was invited to a darkroom in Livermore by Glen & Suzanne. A friend of theirs, Stefan, who owns the Smith Anderson North Gallery in San Rafael was printing images for an upcoming show and they needed help. Yay!

I hadn't printed my stuff in like what... 7 years or so? It was fun to be there with the photo paper and enlargers and yes, the chemicals. It all came rushing back to me. Why I love photography and the processes. Digital photography is pretty awesome. But there's something about negatives and creating an image with light on paper that you just can't recreate with digital.
I'm feeling inspired again. This is a good thing.

6 comments:

j. ethan duran said...

its always great to be inspired. im right there with you about the sounds, smells, etc. of being in a darkroom. nothing quite like it. thanks again for coming over. you're a peach.

Pevil said...

Oh the darkroom, how I love it! Haven't been in once since the late 80's, can you believe it?!?! This is a great time of year to go inward and look at your muck. You will be stronger for it although it doesn't maybe feel like it right now. Keep breathing and enjoy the day to day. The greater answers will come, in odd ways, just be patient.

Carter said...

I love lefse! My grandmother still makes it. We had some when I was home for Thanksgiving. I usually take mine with a little butter and sugar.

How much do I love it? We served it at my wedding. I have some great pictures of my grandmother, her twin daughters, my grandmother's sisters, and a few cousins in an assembly line at the hotel making and rolling the lefse.

Do you know how to make it? I've always thought Grandma's lefse blew away the store bought kind but I've never learned how to make it.

Kate said...

Carter, I don't know how to make it but want to learn... Do you have the recipe???

Carter said...

I'll ask about it. I should be able to get it for you.

Kate said...

woo hoo!!